Thursday, January 14, 2010

special prayers needed

Katie is a sick little girl that needs extra prayers. She was sick all day yesterday. I fear she may need a heart sooner than summer, and that breaks my heart. Here is the newest update from Katie's mom Tonya.

Oh my goodness...WHAT A DAY!!! A day I do not care to repeat! Katie woke up around 6 am complaining about her head hurting really bad and then she threw up. She had a temp of 100.4. They gave her some tylenol. She moaned and groaned for most of the morning. She didn't want us to turn on the lights, open the blinds, or anything. Almost like a migraine. They then gave her some motrin and zofran. She weighed 14.4 kg. this morning. Yesterday they took off over ONE LITER of fluid!!!! She lost almost 2lbs. So I was thinking she may be dehydrated between all that coming off and also still draining 150 from left and 50 from right. They started her on a little IV fluids but were hesitant to give her a lot since she is having all this fluid retention problem. They took some labs (blood and they also tested the fluid from the pleurel cavity). She threw up again, quite a bit and in front of the dr. He came back and looked at her ears and throat since I told him Shane had been sick, but they came back ok. They gave her some more zofran. They were a little concerned with the headache since she couldn't seem to kick it, so they ordered a ct scan, just to make sure something more serious wasn't going on. Since they wanted to use contrast during the scan they had to put an iv in her right hand! I absolutely HATE seeing my baby having to be poked so much. I just tell her to look at me and squeeze my hand as hard as she needs to and I have to work very hard to hold back my tears (although I admit sometimes they do escape). Thank goodness the scan came back clear! One piece of good news! Some other good news is that the fluid they tested didn't show any infection, so that is great as that is one of the first places they would suspect an infection to be (the other is the PICC line). Before the scan she had thrown up again and bless her soul, she didn't have anything to throw up, because she hasn't eaten or drank much of anything today. They have kept her on IV fluids as of right now. One of the worst things was that they wanted a uncontaminated urine specimen, which means they had to get it using a catheter. OMG....the tears did escape from my eyes during that. Thank goodness she did still have some of the ketamine they gave her for sedation for the scan in her. She would look at me with the most pitiful face and cry, "Why mommy? OWWW....it hurts! Make them leave mommy!" Just rip my heart out now and throw it on the floor. The tears came out of my eyes during that. They had to try two times and when I told her they were trying to get pee, she said, "I've got to pee mommy!" She was wanting to just pee. Then she said, "I can't pee in my bed!" This kills me that she is going through all this! They finally got a specimen and then she did pee in a pull-up. Good love her she is sleeping now and I just pray the med helps her not remember it very well. She did throw up later tonight for a total of 4 times today. Her temp is back up also at 100.6. She got some more tylenol for the time being. Dr. Shri thinks that it is probably a combination of the fluids coming off too fast and getting dehydrated some and that she may have a little stomach virus. They are going to get labs again around 4am I think and do a complete panel. So far nothing is showing up, but the nurse says it can take two days to know for sure. So I figure we are here for at least 2 more days or 2 months, or it feels like we are moving into this room. Ugh! I am praying she feels like a new woman in the morning. She was very clingy and either wanted in my lap (which was fine with me until every part of my body started falling asleep) or in the bed. Please say a special prayer for her. Thanks Uncle Mike and Aunt Ann for coming down to visit. Sorry Katie wasn't feeling too well. Thanks also to Charlisa and Bill for coming down and sitting with us during all this and Charlisa please tell the kids that made the cards for Katie, THANK YOU! It was very sweet of them! I would also like to thank my co-workers. They are trying to help in many different ways to make it easier for me to be here with Katie. I just wish that bills would stop when a loved one got sick at least until they got better. Thank you to all the many churches that have taken up love offerings and all the family and friends that are helping as well. We feel so very loved! Please pray for two heart buddies down here as well. Little Braden had his surgery and has been having some breathing issues. The last I heard was that he may have to go back on the vent. Another is for our neighbor here. They wheeled him out on a stretcher with a big grin on his face. He got his new heart...his 2nd new heart! Sending prayers that all goes well with him as well!
Tonya-mom of Connor-8 and Katie-3-HLHS
www.caringbridge.org sitename: katiebracken

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Oh my gosh! This story is sooo sad. It gives me goose bumps! I will definately pray for this family!!!