Monday, February 9, 2009

so...let's keep talking about CHDs

isn't Torie cute? she was so little-6.3 pounds with her little curls down to her shoulders! Ahh, I love LOVE her curls!.


On with the sTorie! LOL. (Sorry i had do) There I sat in my bed, with the doctor walking out of the room leaving me with nothing. NOTHING! No explanation, no answers, no help-just a few simple sentences ending "sending her to vanderbilt" I was so scared. I didn't think I would ever feel that scared again! The nurse practitioner from Vandy came later. With a quickly medical explanation that left me with more questions than answers, she gave me a t shirt for Torie that said " I took my first ride on Angel" How cute. I got one last look at my baby and my family and I walked with her to Angel.












Here, I want to add a small story about another baby, a baby boy. He too rode Angel to vandy.I watched his poor family walk down the hall in front of us-they were all crying and the priest and nun were walking with them. Look up at Torie-see her color? not bad. This baby boy was gray. He was doing very bad. I learned the next day(monday) that he did not make it home. That family lost their baby boy. I wish them the very best in life.

When Paul & I arrived at Vandy we were greeted by the worlds best nurse ever-try to disagree me-I dare you! Judith was the perfect 1st nurse for us, she took us straight to our baby. It was different than I expected. But at the same time, I had no idea what to expect. There was my lil girl, with ivs and wires going everywhere. Judith gingerly picked up Torie and handed to me. I sit here smiling at myself because I remember thinking " what do I do now?" LOL. I am such a first time mom! I sat and rocked my baby. Paul and I rubbed her hair,hands, fingers and toes. Our pretty little girl looked so perfect-except the blue around her lips. What?!? I almost panicked. Paul quietly said Judith's name and she stepped into our little cubby area. That NICU is so small but efficient! She took Torie from me and gently explained that was part of her heart problem. Paul & I both looked confused I am sure. So Nurse Judith explained it to us a bit more. Then two of the finest doctors ever walked into our cubby and into our lives. Dr David Parra and Dr Greg Fleming. Dr Parra is a cardiologist and Dr Fleming is a resident. Judith took care of my baby while Dr Parra explained Torie's heart and how it could be repaired. Repair but not curred?? What? No, there is not cure for heart defects, you can only treat the symptoms. Dr Parra quickly told me that her heart defect had nothing to do with anything I had ate or drank during my pregnancy. I was just as quick to point out that I had never drank worse than sun drop! I think I gave the poor doctor my entire health history in 30 words or less! I have never done drugs/smoked/drank and I work out as much as possible. But it did make me feel better, just knowing that someone knew it was not my fault. The next day was monday. yep that was all sunday-Torie's 2nd day of life!

Moday we moved up to the card floor. Torie's ivs came out and she was on room air! Woo Hoo! even better, as soon as I walked into her room the nurse had just finished putting a teen tiny shirt on Torie. I told her a quick story of how I always handed my niece and nephew back to Kim when they needed changing saying "here ya go mom!" well, wouldn't you know that nurse smiled and said " Here you go Mom!" I felt myself beam. lol. It still makes me smile. Mom-my new name. Paul and I spent the next 24 hrs on the card floor. I will con't with that tomorrow. For now, its late. my baby,who's not so much a baby anymore, is sick and will probably wake up tonight. Glad Paul took her to the ped today for meds! Get rest and come back for more tomorrow!

No comments: